Course description and objectives:
- Review of the major musical symbols and study of intervals then major or minor chords.
- Three-note, then four-note chords, namely: XM7, X7, Xm7, Xm7(b5), Xdim7
- Analysis of main major/minor cadences for the purposes of establishing the first principles of musical analysis
Level required: open to those with little or no knowledge of music theory.
- Revision of main chords and their extensions (9, 11, 13)
- Analysis of standards and different ways to harmonically enrich a piece of music
- Analysis and comparison of chord charts, impros, etc.
- Modes derived from the major scale and principle modes used on X7 chords.
Level required: Continuation of Level I, although those already having Level I knowledge will be immediately admitted into Level II.
- Revision of the modes derived from the major scale.
- Modes derived from the scale : minor melodic; minor harmonic; major harmonic
- Augmented sixth chord, pedals, appogiaturas.
Level required: Open to everybody who has completed Harmony Level II, as well as all those with a thorough knowledge of cadences, intervals and the major modes.
- Revision of notions studied in Level III
- More in-depth study of appoggiaturas
- Double harmonic major scale, symmetrical scales, voice leading and mirror harmony
- Harmonization of standards using the techniques studied in Levels I and II
Level required: open to everybody who has completed Level III.