Course description: focus on structure and quality of theme statement.
- Harmonic, melodic and in particular, rhythmic aspects (piano/bass/drums cohesion)
- Importance of rhythm: Afro-Cuban rhythms, 3/4, 6/8 tempos…
- Fast tempos, feeling the 4-measure, 8-measure cycles, etc.
- Further exploration into the fields of improvisation and harmony
- Work based on typical jazz approach and themes, both traditional (blues, middle-jazz standards, etc.) and modern (be-bop and post-bop)
Level required: beginner in trio, but not in piano.
Course description and objectives: trio work focused on:
- Intros and codas
- Establishing a melody on the piano
- Developing solos
- Accompanying bass solos and playing with the drums
- Different ways to improve communication as the leader of a jazz trio
Level required: Piano II minimum – experience in playing in the trio format
Course description and objectives: focus placed on:
- The skills and approach required when playing in trio format: listening, interplay, etc.
- The acquisition, consolidation and reinforcement of different jazz styles.
- This is achieved via the study of a 3-part repertoire: different types of blues and blues-changes structures, jazz themes from the 1960s, jazz compos and standards (student choice)
Level required: solid piano technique and experience in improvising